HEAP Cooling Assistance Program
Are you having a rough time dealing with the summer heat? Are you struggling to purchase an air conditioner? The HEAP Cooling Assistance Program can help eligible households with up to $800 towards the purchase and installation of fans or an air conditioner. This program is accepting applications through August 29th.
Please call 929-221-5862 to have an application mailed to your home or visithttp://otda.ny.gov/programs/heap/program.asp#cooling for more information. Call as soon as you can because this program is provided on a first come, first served basis until funding runs out.
The eligibility below, and other details, can be found by clicking on the link.
Your household may be eligible for a HEAP Cooling Assistance Component benefit if:
- You and your household members are United States Citizens or qualified aliens, your household resides in a HEAP eligible living situation, your household includes an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat AND
- Your household’s gross monthly income is at or below the current income guides for your household size as posted in the table below; or
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits; or
- You receive Temporary Assistance; or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone).
Your household eligibility requirements include filing an application with your local Department of Social Services, providing all necessary documentation.
Your household will not be eligible if:
- You received a 2013-14 HEAP benefit in an amount less than or equal to $21.00; or
- You currently have a working air conditioner less than five years old, as determined by the vendor or
- You received a HEAP funded air conditioner within the past 10 years.